Thursday, September 23, 2010

CRUNCH

Matching Taste with the Season since 6500 B.C.


We all feel it, the brisk cool air that hits your nostrils on a September morning. That certain dampness that makes you grab your sweater on your way to work, even though you know it will be a high of 98 degrees later on because of the Mississippi sun. I am thankful for it every day I wake up, mainly because that brisk air in the morning reminds me of that crisp taste of my favorite fruit.
            It is absolutely apple season. I know I’ve told at least 6 of my friends by now that it’s apple season and they just look at me and say, “oh?” and shrug off, what I felt, was stimulating news. Apples are something to be excited about; healthdiaries.com says that a medium sized apple contains only 80 calories. That’s 80 calories containing fiber, antioxidants, water and sugar. Be picky if you want, because there are 2,500 varieties of apples grown in the United States every year. We’ve apparently been eating them for a long time anyway; Archaeologists actually have evidence of people eating apples as far back as 6500 B.C.
            So since it is apple season, and it is absolutely worth celebrating, I’ve decided to reach out and share my favorite apple recipe with you. Using my community’s cookbook, Square Table Cookbook, I was able to quench my crunch with their Crunchy Apple Walnut Salad. If you’re asking me- apples are the only way to bring in the fall season.



Crunchy Apple Walnut Salad

DRESSING
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons apple juice
2 tablespoons balsamic white vinegar
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste

SALAD
2 Braeburn or Fuji apples cut into bite-sized pieces
6 cups red leaf lettuce or other salad greens
¼ cup chopped walnuts
Parmesan cheese, grated

  • For dressing, in a jar, combine ingredients and shake well
  • For salad, in a serving bowl, combine apples, salad greens and walnuts. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
6-8 servings


*Permission to use the Crunchy Apple Walnut Salad recipe granted by the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council. Square Table Cookbook is a community cookbook and a fundraiser for the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council and can be ordered on their website www.oxfordarts.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment